Re: Postfix and local mail delivery - still relevant in 2020?

Software and systems (and often sysadmins and possibly other users) send
email.  Some such software is even part of the base NetBSD system
distribution.  This is as true in 2020 as it was in 2000 or even 1995.

Email is often much more conveniently delivered to a remote or central
server (i.e. as opposed to being delivered to a locally mounted
filesystem).

Delivering mail to a remote mail server requires MTA software that is
capable of delivering mail via the network.

Postfix is a most excellent MTA that can be configured to deliver mail
via the network.

Conveniently Postfix is also a most excellent MTA that can be configured
to (also) _receive_ mail via the network.

Postfix's licensing and portability and ease of configuration and
operation (as well as its extensive features and scalability) make it
most excellent software for NetBSD.

Ergo Postfix is in the base NetBSD system distribution.

(in case you didn't know, once upon a time the MTA in NetBSD was
Sendmail -- Postfix is more excellent than Sendmail in every way)

See also the "Mail Aliases" and "Postfix" sections in afterboot(8).

(BTW, when I set a standards-compliant "reply-to" header in my email, it
means I want any reply to go there, unless I've pointed it to a public
list and the reply is not to be public.  I don't need to be personally
CCed on replies that I've directed to a public list.)

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>