Re: Postfix and local mail delivery - still relevant in 2020?

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 6:31 PM Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 14:55:54 -0700
> "Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I would suggest it is still very relevant to have a network capable
> > MTA in the base system distribution, and for that purpose Postfix is
> > a most excellent choice.
>
> What are the use-cases for it? Is it only for emailing occasional
> reports to sysadmins?

postfix is relatively small, needs very little config, and gets the
job done.  It just happens to also work at scale.
I would prefer (postfix can probably run like this but I haven't
tried) something that can exist either as a simple cron or as a
named-pipe so it can run without any running daemon to handle flushing
the local mail queue to local users or my remote aliases.

Now bind9 on the other hand... ;)