smbd kills inetd?

All,

this is a funny bit: On a machine that does not see windows clients
very often, I would like to run smbd and nmbd from inetd:

# Samba 4
netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/pkg/sbin/smbd
smbd
microsoft-ds    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/pkg/sbin/smbd
smbd
netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd
nmbd

Now, when I run 'inetd -d -l', my client can connect to microsoft-ds,
and mount a volume.

OTOH, when I run '/etc/rc.d/inetd start', my client cannot connect, and
inetd dies quietly - no core, no log entry anywhere.

What gives?

Cheerio,
Hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344