Re: SMTP servers receiving from gmail

On 17/04/2020 19:44, ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost wrote:
On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:52:37AM -0700, Greg A. Woods wrote:

I doubt they demand either.

You many not care about delivery to sites that do care but I've certainly had e-mail bounced or classified as spam due to the lack of a PTR record or SPF. Since I can't choose who my friends pick as their e-mail provider its down to me to resolve issues so I can send them messages.

I looked at their cryptic web pages referenced in the error, and
links therein, and it seemed to me that they do. They probably do a
statistics per address range dance on top of it. (All from memory.)

Yes if you have a static IP that hasn't changed forever and has never sent a spam message chances are it won't really care. If you have a newer IP thats known to be in a DSL assigned range (even if its static) they might well be more picky. If I'm honest I've no idea if google care about SPF for my domain. Daft as it may seem to some people SPF works for my mail domain as I can make sure all the messages come from a small set of allowed IPs very easily and it was an easy way to stop e-mail from my domain being classed as spam by AOL.

Mike