Dell Mini 1012 network issues

I'm trying to get NetBSD running on a Dell Mini 1012.  I know Linux
seems to have issues with this hardware, so was hoping NetBSD might do
better.  I can install and it boots, but I haven't been able to get
the network working.

Issues:
- constant messages saying "re0: watchdog timeout".  I suspect that
until this is addressed I won't get much farther.
-  If I rely on DHCP to configure the NIC, I appear to get garbage, as
the IP4 address is not on-network.
- If I manually set a valid IP4 address and gateway, it still can't
communicate.  It can't even ping the gateway.

Any suggestions?