Re: Qemu virtual machine

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 11:48:27AM +0100, Pedro Pinho wrote:
> I'm planning to create a qemu virtual machine on my NetBSD laptop, so I can
> set-up a minimal linux system running Firefox and watch Netflix on NetBSD.
> I'm wondering though, which one is better for this user case, HAXM or NVMM?
> Any thoughts?

I am also interested in widevinecdm based contents on NetBSD. It's a pain
to leave your default OS and reboot to Linux every time to watch a video.

Haven't tried qemu of late. But it used to be too slow for this purpose.

Linux emulation layer can be an alternative. Flash plugin, adobe reader,
libreoffice-bin etc have been working pretty fine on NetBSD through Linux
emulation. Not sure what it would take to make firefox-bin available on
NetBSD.

Xen is yet another alternative. But some limitations like NetBSD Dom0 can
use only 1 cpu make it less attractive for this purpose. You'd rather want
a Linux DomU to use 1 cpu and let NetBSD Dom0 use the rest.

Looking forward to a wider discussion on this.

Mayuresh