Re: mutt wants sasl

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 05:47:20PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> > I already have quite a few X packages built and installed. Won't
> > I be changing horses mid-stream, so to speak, by adding that
> > X11_TYPE statement now?

> Yes.  If you move to modular, you should rebuild any package that
> depends on X.

Greg, I fear I must address the kernel version issue you raise
below:

> > Here is my best effort at grabbing the screen output that
> > emerged after typing 'make' in nouveau's pkgsrc directory:

> > --snip--
> >
> > ******* I fubared the screen grab! *******
> >
> > oto >= 1.6.0 renderproto >= 0.11 xextproto >= 7.2.99.901
> > inputproto >= 2.3 kbpro to >= 1.0.3 fontsproto >= 2.1.3 pixman-1
> > >= 0.27.2 videoproto compositeproto
> >>=
> > 0.4 recordproto >= 1.13.99.1 scrnsaverproto >= 1.1 resourceproto
> > >= 1.2.0 xinera maproto xkbfile pixman-1 >= 0.27.2 xfont2 >=
> > 2.0.0 xau xdmcp) were not met:

> >  Package dependency requirement 'xproto >= 7.0.31' could not be
> >  satisfied. Package 'xproto' has version '7.0.26', required
> >  version is '>= 7.0.31' Package dependency requirement
> >  'randrproto >= 1.6.0' could not be satisfied. Package
> >  'randrproto' has version '1.4.0', required version is '>=
> >  1.6.0'

> >   Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> >   installed software in a non-standard prefix.

> >    Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XSERVERCFLAGS_CFLAGS
> >    and XSERVERCFLAGS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> >    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
> >    *** Error code 1

> >     Stop.
> >     make[1]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/modular-xorg-server
> >     *** Error code 1

> > --snip--

> Are you running netbsd-8?  If older, definitely upgrade.

Please forgive a history review:

Initially, I went to install ver. 8.0 on this nvidia-infested system
while it was still running Windows 7, seeking a "dual boot" setup.
No instance of ver 8 that I tried could run on it, complaining about
"panic" over "no console device found."

The Windows system now is long gone, but I did not find a kernel
that would boot until this was tried:

NetBSD 7.1.2 (GENERIC.201803151611Z) amd64

So that's what I have running now, which may go some way to explain
why am using pkgsrc 2018Q. I am quite willing to try an upgrade to
ver. 8 but my fear is that during the upgrade I will learn once
again that ver. 8 does not boot on this box, but in the process,
have undone the 7.1.2 that to at least runs, short of using X.

Can I try the upgrade without harming what's running now?

--
Bob B.