Re: propose repo nomenclature

Jay Patel <jaypatel.ani%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I did work around by adding CHECK_OSABI=no in pkg_install.conf
>
> Agree with pkg_add change or other work around rather than cloning repo.

There are multiple things being discussed at once that I think it's
helpful to separate.

8.0_RELEASE and 8.0_STABLE probably really should have the same ABI.
But that should not be about CHECK_OSABI, which is about internal
interfaces.   I am not sure where it is written down or if, but the
whole osabi package is confusing.   The problem is that we don't have
version counters for each micro part of a possible system ABI.   So
8.0_STABLE at one point and 8.0_STABLE at another point are not
necessarily compatible in the pkgtools/osabi sense.

What you are asking is to have packages (for an arch and branch) built
on not only whatever 7.x we use and 8.0, but also 7.1_STABLE and
8.0_STABLE.  That's twice as many packages.

It seems pkg_add is checking OSABI versions as if there is a dependency
on pkgtools/osabi, but maybe that's intended to be different.  Those
checks should perhaps be relaxed to treat 8.0 and 8.0_STABLE as the
same.

Finally, I find this all a bit too fiddly, but I have no great ideas for
simplification.