Re: NetBSD 8: Install on an LVM partition

On Feb 23, 11:40pm, moo can wrote:
}
} I'm trying to install NetBSD 8 using/inside a LVM partition.  I
} would like to be able to resize partition if needed.  I come from
} Linux and always use an LVM for /boot, /, swap, /home, /var.

     NetBSD doesn't have a /boot.  Technically, it does, but /boot
is the stage 2 boot loader, not a file system.

} I have tried using the "partitioning tool" in the "utility menu"
} of the installer.  I admit to having a little trouble understanding
} this partitioning tool.
}
} 1- I have created a partition for the whole disk.
} 2- Then chose "format as an VG/LV"
} 3- Create a PV/VG
} 4- Created an LV named "root"
} 5- Created an LV named "swap"
} 6- Created an LV named "home"
}
} But I can't find how to attribute a mount point for each LV.  So
} is it possible to install NetBSD inside an LVM?  I don't find

     NetBSD can't boot from an LVM.  However, everything except
"/" can be in an LV.

} documentation about NetBSD LVM installation.  I found only this
} one:
} https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-lvm.html#chap-lvm-disklabel-volume.
} Is it supported?  Is NetBSD LVM as Linux LVM or another "philosophy"?

     I don't know what you mean by "philosophy".  The LVM command
in NetBSD is pretty much a straight port of lvm2tools 2.02.56 (yes,
it is quite old now).  However, the backend, dm(4), is a complete
rewrite from scratch as GPL can not be part of a BSD kernel.

     The way I usually do it is have sysinst create root, swap,
/var, and /usr, and leave the rest of the disk empty.  After
installation, I use disklabel to create a partition covering the
rest of the disk with a type of "unknown".  I create a PV on that
partition, add the PV to a VG, then create whatever LVs I want.
I haven't played with the newer partitioning stuff in sysinst.  In
theory, it should be possible to create a small root and have the
rest of the disk be used as a PV with all other partitions being
in LVs.  I don't know if it is possible to swap to an LV.

}-- End of excerpt from moo can