Re: NetBSD 8: Install on an LVM partition

On Feb 24,  8:17am, Michael van Elst wrote:
} moocan2112%yahoo.fr@localhost (moo can) writes:
}
} >Hello,
} >I'm trying to install NetBSD 8 using/inside a LVM partition.I would like to=
} > be able to resize partition if needed.I come from Linux and always use an =
} >LVM for /boot, /, swap, /home, /var
}
} Simple answer, you cannot.
}
} LVM is mostly a userland thing and requires a running system to start. This

     In what way is it "mostly a userland thing"?  I don't believe
this statement is true.

} forbids at least using LVM for the root but also the standard swap/dump
} partitions.
}
} There could be a solution as used for full disk encryption, but I haven't
} seen anyone doing this. You can find details (for cgd) at
} https://wiki.netbsd.org/security/cgdroot/.
}
} Everything else could be logical volumes, but on a single disk system you
} would need to create some hybrid partitioning scheme which is hardly worth

     This is very simple to do as outlined in my other note.

} the effort. Using LVM for data disks (including things like /home) works
} fine.
}
} Please also note that our LVM only implements a subset. We still lack
} a mirror target, so LVM raid or even just moving LVs online is not yet
} supported.

     This much is true.  dm(4) is old and somewhat limited.  Also,
although lvrename kinda works, I have found it to be problematic.

}-- End of excerpt from Michael van Elst