Re: Mailing list manager on NetBSD

Julian H. Stacey wrote in <201901101322.x0ADLrgI006555%fire.js.berklix.net@localhost>:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Mayuresh wrote in <20190109131516.GA25962@localhost>:
 |>|On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 12:03:46PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
 |>|Thanks for a comprehensive reply. I am currently tending towards \
 |>|mlmmj due
 |>|to the claims of smaller footprint as I'll be using a VPS to host this.
 |>
 |> It cannot do MIME out of the box, and it also had some problems
 |Back when BSD users were on my only mail list using 7 bit, it was easy.
 |
 |Then I added lists for sports & social locals. they mostly used
 |Microsoft, then their client software `enhanced' so they could
 |excrete font & size of the day, in colour, with national character
 |set extensions beyond Ascii, using MIME, then MS MUA providers left
 |MIME on by default & users didnt know to turn it off for lists, or
 |how to turn off, or to what advantages.

HTML there is, too.  But it is not that easy i would say, i have
seen people using emoji and such Unicode characters on lists of
established Unix people.  And even more people use native language
in the "xy wrote" quotation reference, which requires MIME for
even premium-first world languages.  (It depends however.)

 |Majordomo was not MIME aware, & MIME obscured the How To Unsubscribe
 |etc list footers majordomo appended (& of course users were too
 |dumb to look in list headers) so more admin time was wasted, so

Yes.  That was true for ml-something- mlmmj, too.

 |majordomo was abandoned.  Mailman supports MIME. If there's a
 |possibility a mail list server might have to later support non tech
 |users, avoid server software that don't support MIME.
 |
 |Cheers,
 |Julian
 |--
 |Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant Sys.Eng. BSD Linux Unix, Munich \
 |Aachen Kent

Mind you, down there im Weißwurscht Land, but here i would insist
that it is München.  Or at least Muenchen.  Because the Föhn bläst
so heiß.

--steffen