Re: suspend-to-RAM intel-x86 issues and tests

David Brownlee wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 22:20, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost>  wrote:
Hi David,

David Brownlee wrote:
So I conclude that having the system mounted on USB causes issues (which
manifests themselves slightly different on different computers) and
while it probably should work, it is not a test and adds more issues.
Would it be make sense to try booting a CD install image on some of
the machines (to avoid the USB) issue?
for those machines which have an optical drive, I can do so! To help
NetBSD improve, this and more.

Would using the install CD enough to test an ACPI suspend? is it enabled
at all?
Install CDs though do not usually enable DRM console, which is often a
problematic component in sleep.

Actually testing with/without drm would probably also be helpful - if
a machine can reliably suspend/resume without DRM or active USB then
it means that people can focus just on the DRM side.

In any case, three ThinkPads have netbsd8 release on it, so testing is
easier and they exhibit issues: T30, R51 and T43 (the latter with a
regression compared to release). SO perhaps it is best fixing those
first, before attempting more delicate work on others.

Again, it might be interesting to see if the regression is in
suspend/resume with DRM or more general :)

Just for fun I disabled i915drmkms on my X220 running 8.0_STABLE and put it in S3 mode. It went to sleep, but when I tried the power button again I was left with a blank screen but glowing power button and bluetooth icon.

I then tried it with nothing disabled and not having X running and it came back from sleep! *jaw drops*

I must always have tried it with X running and it just wouldn't recover after the disk reattached (the high resolution console was still configured and working).

wifi doesn't work though, the iwn driver complains:

iwn0: could not load firmware .text section
iwn0: could not load firmware
iwn0: could not initialize hardware

After some more testing, it's enough that I switch to the console before pressing the sleep button and it will come back, but xdm seems to go away.

After a long while it restarts and I have an xlogin prompt again.

Anyway, in my case it works _better_ with drm enabled.

Staffan