Re: suspend-to-RAM intel-x86 issues and tests

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 22:20, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> David Brownlee wrote:
> >> So I conclude that having the system mounted on USB causes issues (which
> >> manifests themselves slightly different on different computers) and
> >> while it probably should work, it is not a test and adds more issues.
> > Would it be make sense to try booting a CD install image on some of
> > the machines (to avoid the USB) issue?
>
> for those machines which have an optical drive, I can do so! To help
> NetBSD improve, this and more.
>
> Would using the install CD enough to test an ACPI suspend? is it enabled
> at all?
> Install CDs though do not usually enable DRM console, which is often a
> problematic component in sleep.

Actually testing with/without drm would probably also be helpful - if
a machine can reliably suspend/resume without DRM or active USB then
it means that people can focus just on the DRM side.

> In any case, three ThinkPads have netbsd8 release on it, so testing is
> easier and they exhibit issues: T30, R51 and T43 (the latter with a
> regression compared to release). SO perhaps it is best fixing those
> first, before attempting more delicate work on others.

Again, it might be interesting to see if the regression is in
suspend/resume with DRM or more general :)

Thanks

David