Re: Recommended desktop environment?

> On Sat 08 Sep 2018 at 07:25:17 +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > I like substance as opposed to hot air, hence would stay away from something like Enlightenment (seemed poorly documented, at least in the time of NetBSD 7.99.1.

> Try ctwm. An older version is already installed with NetBSD. In (very
> very very) short, it is twm + workspaces + lots of other stuff.
> I like the "tabbed" window titles (config option SqueezeTitle) and
> dragging them along the top of the window (with Alt + mouse button 1) so
> you can put several windows on top of each other and still easily access
> them. Idea is originally from BeOS :)

> I just sent a pr to update the version in pkgsrc to 4.0.2 (the latest)
> from 4.0.1.

-Olaf.

___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X

I remember seeing ctwm listed, but didn't know about ctwm being installed with NetBSD.

I knew twm was installed with NetBSD native X or modular xorg, also with xorg from FreeBSD ports.

I just looked on NetBSD installation, no ctwm.  I also don't think there is any ctwm in haikuports, couldn't find it.

Haiku (www.haiku-os.org) is an open-source successor to BeOS.

> If you're looking for something that stays out of your way and has various
> types of window-maximization available, though not a tiling wm, windowmaker
> may be worth a try.

> Bruce

> nagelbh%freeshell.org@localhost

I got the impression that windowmaker was poorly set up with menu options pointing to nonexistent packages or resources.  Or maybe Linux Slackware set it up poorly.  Last Slackware I had was 13.0.  Slackware's specialties regarding window managers or desktop environments were KDE and XFCE.

from Pedro Pinho:

> Thanks for the answer.
> I see Enlightment as a DE and not just a WM. Awesome, on the other hand is
> a WM with a bar and I'm very happy running awesome :-)

> As for i3, there's i3, https://i3wm.org/
> and i3-gaps, https://github.com/Airblader/i3

> There are plenty of tiling WM's.

I didn't know about i3-gaps but now see it in FreeBSD ports but not pkgsrc.

Tom