Re: Recommended desktop environment?

> On 05.09.2018 12:04, Wean Irdeh wrote:
> > Hi all mailing list members! What is your recommended desktop environment
> > for NetBSD?

> I used xfce for years and I spend lot of time just rearranging window with the
> mouse pointer, positioning for example a Firefox window next to xterm
> terminals. I was getting mad!

> For 2 weeks I switched to i3w, a tilling wm. I fount it intuitive and I don't
> care anymore to window positioning.

> just my 2 cents

> xpetrl.

What is i3w?  I couldn't find i3w in pkgsrc/wm or (FreBSD) ports/x11-wm.  Do you mean i3?

I tried i3, didn't get past the devious, confusing documentation, might have if I had stuck with it more.  Special keys, such as Alt, were deviously named in the documentation.

I want to try ratpoison and jwm.  Now I am in icewm 1.3.8, which I use in both NetBSD and FreeBSD.

I never got far with GNOME or with KDE 4.x.

I tried awesome some years ago, but the "awesome" decoration/artwork just got in the way and confused me.

Tom