Re: reading older disks

On 22 August 2018 at 08:20, John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> wrote:
> On Aug 22,  9:12am, Benny Siegert wrote:
> } On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:36 PM Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> } > Not really its been a pretty universal experience of very old systems
> } > for me that they don't like being stressed or powered off. :(
> }
> } In particular: In hard drives that run continuously for months or
> } years, the centrifugal forces gradually displace the lubrication of
> } the spindle outward. When the disk powers down, the axis may get
> } stuck.
>
>      I believe modern disks are less prone to stiction.  However,
> the original poster did say these are old disks.  The "solution"
> is to power it up and "gently" shock it, i.e. lift one end about
> an inch and drop it.

I still remember a Sun engineer "adjusting" a Quantum 105 disk which
had failed due to stiction.

He'd bought a replacement disk, but asked if there was any data we'd
like off the old disk.
We said there was some which would be nice but not critical.
He said "OK, I can try something, but I need to you be happy to accept
that all data is lost on this old disk"
"Yes"
"Absolutely happy that the data is gone"
"Yes"
floor, then connects it back to the SS1+)
(We hear the disk spinning up and the machine starts to boot)
"OK, if you want a copy of any of your lost data, now is the time"

David