NetBSD/xen Dom0 - fatal page fault in supervisor mode with GPT/RAIDFrame

Hello dear NetBSD community,

Today I need some help to understand a problem that I have recently observed. On one and the same PC (AMD FX8350 / 32 GB RAM / 2 HDs) there are different behavior of Xen / Dom0 depending on hard disk size or partitioning scheme.

Configuration 1)
* 2 x 2TB hard drives
* MBR with one big NetBSD partition (whole disk) wd0 / wd1
* on each NetBSD partition a Disklabel with only one slice (Type RAID) wd0e / wd1e
* RAIDframe configured device raid0 (RAID-1) (components wd0e / wd1e)
* on raid0 a disklabel, NetBSD Root FS in raid0a
* BIOS boot

With this configuration, NetBSD will boot easily as Xen Dom0.

Configuration 2)
* 2 x 3TB hard drives
* GPT with two GPT partitions (system and data) dk0 / sk1 dk2 / dk3
* RAIDframe configured device raid0 (RAID-1) (components dk0 / dk2) / raid1 (RAID-1) (components dk1 / dk3)
* on raid0 a disklabel, NetBSD Root FS in raid0a
* BIOS boot

With this configuration, NetBSD boots as Xen Dom0, but then crashes during the kernel boot with the error message "fatal page fault in supervisor mode".

Unfortunately, I only see the message very shortly before the reboot takes place. Also my video camera is not fast enough to record what happens in between. I have now ordered a serial interface card and will next try to log the error through the serial console. I'll also test configuration 2) on 2 x 2 TB disks again to rule out hardware as the cause. I will also compare the kernel configuration of the dom0 kernel with the generic kernel to find out if this might lack a module or similar that is required for configuration 2 (especially GPT).

Anyway - has anyone ever tried such a setup and encountered similar problems?

Best regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost> | www.petermann-it.de
Innovative IT-Lösungen, Systemintegration, FreeBSD/Unix-Support