Re: reading older disks

On Aug 22,  9:12am, Benny Siegert wrote:
} On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:36 PM Mike Pumford <mpumford%mudcovered.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
} > Not really its been a pretty universal experience of very old systems
} > for me that they don't like being stressed or powered off. :(
}
} In particular: In hard drives that run continuously for months or
} years, the centrifugal forces gradually displace the lubrication of
} the spindle outward. When the disk powers down, the axis may get
} stuck.

     I believe modern disks are less prone to stiction.  However,
the original poster did say these are old disks.  The "solution"
is to power it up and "gently" shock it, i.e. lift one end about
an inch and drop it.

} My employer once had a power outage in a datacenter, and about 1/3 of
} disks failed to come up when power was restored.

     Ouch!

}-- End of excerpt from Benny Siegert