Re: curses(3) handling of UTF-8 in various programs

Leonardo Taccari wrote:

> Hello Cág, Brett and netbsd-users@!
> (I'll reply to both emails here)

Hello Leonardo!

> At least regarding the noice problem, that's just a kludge but a
> possible patch that workaround the problem is attached in this email
> (it can be used as a LOCALPATCHES for sysutils/noice).
> Most printw() calls in noice seems easy to be changed to addstr() ones
> and with them the single bytes are output as-is (IIUC!).

I guess I'll contact upstream about that.

I mentioned moc (Music On Console) that it showed question marks instead
of UTF-8 characters, turns out if you fake ncurses it shows stuff
properly. I'll push it to pkgsrc when I'll stop being lazy ;)
I've got way too much new software so it'd be greedy not to share :)

> The following code should be enough to reproduce what happens in
> noice via argv[]:
>
>    #include <locale.h>
>    #include <curses.h>
>
>    int