curses(3) handling of UTF-8 in various programs

Hi,

For better illustration, let me start by using a practical example.

Suppose you have a file named frúh.mp3. ls(1) in its directory shows
as it is: frúh.mp3. My locale is UTF-8.

moc (music on console)[0] will show it as fr?h.mp3; noice[1] as
früh.mp3, unless you start it with LC_ALL=C, in which case it will
display the name right. vifm[2] and rover[3] both show it properly
without the need of additional trickery. I glanced through both noice
and rover code, but couldn't out the cause. Maybe some of you can?

Thanks in advance for taking time.

[0]: https://moc.daper.net/
[1]: http://git.2f30.org/noice/files.html
[2]: https://vifm.info/