Re: Booting netbsd-8 fails

On 22.07.2018 16:05, Gua Chung Lim wrote:
> * Martin Husemann (martin%duskware.de@localhost) wrote:
>>> Does this mean I have to reinstall the new OS from binary and everything in pkgsrc, once again?
>>
>> No, just extracting the kernel and module sets in / would be good enough.
> I am not so sure how to do it.
> I saw files in ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.0/amd64/binary/.
>
> for kernel...
> If I understand correctly, I have to fetch ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.0/amd64/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz, and then extract it in /.
> Am I right?
>
> for modules...
> Shall I fetch ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.0/amd64/binary/sets/modules.tgz?
> But where shall I extract these modules?
> You said /, but aren't module sets in /stand/ARCH/X.Y/modules/?
>
> still trouble...
> As I can't have it boot for now, how can I extract those files on file system?
>
> Thank you,

The easiest solution is to reinstall.

sysupgrade (from pkgsrc) could allow to upgrade just the kernel and
modules (please check the documentation).

Another option is to use sysupgrade to upgrade the whole system to 8.0
(recommended).

The following command should do the trick (after installing sysupgrade
from pkgsrc):

sysupgrade auto http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.0/amd64/

Other than that there is need to a manual intervention of fetching the
sets for kernel and modules and unpack manually replacing already
installed files.

Please refer to the notes here:

http://doc.nethence.com/bsd/wo.sysinst

Probably something along these lines: