Re: FQDNs for netbooted hosts via DHCP?

On 15/07/2018 23:54, John D. Baker wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018, Roy Marples wrote:

But have we considered an alternative? The in kernel DHCP client as
I see it is just to handle network booting yes? Once userland is
netmounted, dhcpcd can then take over? If so, does the kernel DHCP

This seems to be a condition unique to x86 platforms, that one can
re-configure the network interface with 'dhcpcd' (and in the past,
'dhclient') on a netbooted host.  All the non-x86 platforms I've tried
this with hang (NFS error 69) when the network interface is reconfigured.

Possibly arrange for 'dhcpcd' to not touch the interface, but just
gather and set up the ancillary information requested/provided.

As of dhcpcd-7 at least that should no longer be the case.
So -current and -8, dhcpcd won't touch pre-existing routes if it doesn't need to.

I don't recall you saying what NetBSD or dhcpcd version you were using.

Roy