Re: FQDNs for netbooted hosts via DHCP?

"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> writes:

> So far, I can only get an FQDN for netbooted machines if I make the
> "host" entries:
>
>   host foo.example.com {
>   }
>
>   group bar {
>     option host-name "bar.example.com";
>   }
>
> which is a lot of duplication for all the potential netbooted hosts I
> may have.
>
> Grovelling the "dhcpd.conf" and "dhcp-options" manual pages, it seems
> that all the options related to "host{,-}name" and "domain-name" and
> "fqdn" are all about the client telling the server what its name should
> be instead of the other way around (which is what I want).
>
> Any tips on getting netbooted hosts an FQDN with just the short name
> in a "host" entry or "option host-name" statement in "dhcpcd.conf"?

I suggest reading the DHCP specs; it seems the server is providing
hostname and domain, and it makes sense for those to be the host part
and the domain part.  When you say "getting netbooted hosts an FQDN",
are you talking about what hostname(1) returns?  That seems up to the
client, whether to put host or host.example.com there, although some
specs may require particular behavior.

My guess, without reading specs, is that the right thing to do is to
change the in-kernel dhcp client to construct fqdn and use it.