Re: FQDNs for netbooted hosts via DHCP?

On 15/07/2018 11:18, Roy Marples wrote:
On 15/07/2018 03:37, Robert Elz wrote:
As with most client/server systems, there are two separate things that need
to be made to work - the server has to send the data that you want it to
send (which might mean altering what the client requests, or server config, or ...) and then the client needs to "do the right thing" with the data that is
returned.

Lastly, for this, I wonder if perhaps that final "false" in need_hostname
(in dhcpcd-hooks/30-hostname) might instead be something more like

    ${hfqdn} && [  "${hostname}" = "${hostname#*.}" ]

If we're going to test that, then we need to check the converse for ${hsort} && [ "$hostname" = "${hostname%%.*}" ]

The actual change required is a bit more invasive than that line change though, but it suffices for this discussion.

Patch here:
http://www.netbsd.org/~roy/dhcpcd-hostname-promotion.diff

Please test and let me know if it works for you!

Roy