Re: NetBSD installer failure

Hello,

On Mar 3, 2017, at 5:13 PM, Swift Griggs wrote:

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Al Zick wrote:
http://datazap.net/sites/14/hang.jpg Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

It's hard to say, but it looks like it's failing right before the real root file system is mounted. Did you have them try without SMP and ACPI ? You can disable those from the bootloader.

Sometimes it's useful to setup NetBSD on a USB drive (ie.. do a full installation etc..). Then I put some alternate kernels on the file system and one of them I'll have a full debug kernel built that I can boot up on and (hopefully) get an idea of why/where- exactly the failure is occurring. You could probably do that and create a 2G or 4G image for your data center hands & eyes folks to rawrite to a USB drive and boot up the server on. Then FTP / dropbox it to them etc...

I ended up going to the data center where these servers are at and trying a thumb drive, but no matter what I did it locked up at the same place. Not really sure why. We ended up moving the SSDs to the old servers that we had a few months ago. I plugged in the thumb drive and NetBSD booted up. All the servers have SuperMicro motherboards, although the ones we moved back to are a different revision. Still, it leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Kind Regards,
Al