Re: Installing FF 52 from pkgsrc: "stable" version instead of nightly

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 05:11:59PM +0100, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, the wise coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:
>
> > Mozilla maintains an 'Extended Support Release' which has security fixes
> > backported to it, so it will be a better choice for such cases.
> > Currently, it is www/firefox45 - it is updated whenever www/firefox is,
> > containing fixes for the same vulnerabilities. Soon firefox52 (current
> > non-ESR version) will become ESR.
>
> I'm experiencing the same problems on the ESR versions. So I'm guessing it's
> a specific i386 problem and not a version problem. It's also not a recent
> problem but happening for several months now.

FWIW, I'm running current on a pretty old (Asus P4B533, P4 2.26GHz 2Gb mem)
machine. Had one (known) problem with FF 51 that created coredumps
at exit time. That bug is fixed in FF 52. Another problem with
certain recent FF versions (the ones after FF 45 where gfx.xrender.enabled
changed to false by default) was that when visiting a site with huge
images the xorg process suddenly got to (and stayed at) 80% CPU or so.

At the moment both FF 45 (compiled with GTK2) and FF 52 (compiled with GTK3)
work fine for me on everything I throw at it.

Onno