Re: Installing NetBSD from FreeBSD

Hi,

On Feb 14, 2017, at 3:05 AM, Thomas Mueller wrote:

from Cág and Al Zick:

On NetBSD /dev/rwd1d represents your whole disk,
not /dev/wd1d. On FreeBSD it should be the same.

This is true in NetBSD. In /dev on the FreeBSD system there is no ada1d, or rwd1d. In the dmesg it looks like it call the first drive ada0 and says it was formerly ad4, and the second drive it calls ada1 formerly ad6. I have tried both and it doesn't work. Maybe rad6 would represent the whole disk. You may
have just put me on the right track. Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Al

FreeBSD does not use r prefix in device names in /dev, in contrast to NetBSD.

I found that out.

ad6 is the old name for what is now ada1, so it seems from what you have typed; this depends on hardware setup. I believe this change came in FreeBSD 9.0.

I am trying it with a bs of 64k. I will see what happens.

Still, I was able to convert a few more servers to NetBSD remotely, just not the ones running FreeBSD.

Kind Regards,
Al