Installing NetBSD from FreeBSD

Hi,

I am really stumped by this. I was able to install NetBSD from a server that has CentOS on it without a problem. On a server that was already running NetBSD 7 (this server is using the kernelized raidframe with 2 SSD and larger storage drive). I changed the IP in ifconfig.wm0 and then ran dd if=/dev/wd1d | gzip -9 > /storage/ backup.img.gz I then transferred the image to the server running CentOS (It had a large drive with CentOS on it and a SSD the exact same size as the drives in the NetBSD box). I first ran gunzip and then ran dd if=backup.img.gz of=/dev/hd1. It worked fine. I was able to reboot and it booted from the second drive. I then had someone at the data center put in another SSD the same as the others. Setup and rebuilt the first drive with raid and then had someone at the data center change the boot order so that it would boot from the first drive.

With FreeBSD, I did the same thing to create the image (dd if=/dev/ wd1d | gzip -9 > /storage/backup.img.gz). However, these servers already have the smaller SSDs in them, so I can't unzip the file first. I tried gunzip -c backup.img.gz | dd of=/dev/ada1 It really looks like it runs out of drive before it runs out of image. However, the SSDs are exactly the same as what is in both servers that are already running NetBSD and I used the image that was successful on the CentOS box. Does FreeBSD's dd work differently?

Kind Regards,
Al