Re: Installing NetBSD from FreeBSD

With FreeBSD, I did the same thing to create the image
(dd if=/dev/wd1d | gzip -9 > storagebackup.img.gz).
However, these servers already have the smaller SSDs
in them, so I can't unzip the file first. I tried
gunzip -c backup.img.gz | dd of=/dev/ada1
It really looks like it runs out of drive before
it runs out of image.
Does FreeBSD's dd work differently?

On NetBSD /dev/rwd1d represents your whole disk,
not /dev/wd1d. On FreeBSD it should be the same.

This is true in NetBSD. In /dev on the FreeBSD system there is no ada1d, or rwd1d. In the dmesg it looks like it call the first drive ada0 and says it was formerly ad4, and the second drive it calls ada1 formerly ad6. I have tried both and it doesn't work. Maybe rad6 would represent the whole disk. You may have just put me on the right track. Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Al