Re: /bin/sh command history in NetBSD/i386

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017, the wise Robert Elz wrote:

As long as that was from the right arrow key, that's fine (up arrow, the most relevant for getting started with cmd line editing should have A instead of C)

Yes indeed it was the right arrow key :).

I got your off-list message, not terribly useful, mostly because I had a brain fade, and asked for the wrong stuff ...

But in that you didn't have editing enabled (no "set -o emacs" or "set -o vi") or if you had attempted one of those, it didn't work.

"set -o emacs" is in my .shrc, so I thought this would do the trick.

Make sure you've done that (or the equiv "set -E" or "set -V" (which to use depends whether you prefer emacs (ugh!) or vi (yay) editing commands...)

Then try
	fc -l and verify that it lists the commands that you have entered.

Hey, this does something! So it looks like my .shrc isn't read at all. There is a line "export ENV="$HOME/.shrc" in .profile, but that doesn't seem to be read at startup either.

So how to get .shrc and .profile to be read at login?

--
God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.