Re: Serial console setup

jgw%sdf.org@localhost writes:

> #/var/log/messages
> ..
> Dec 20 .. /netbsd: com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
> Dec 20 .. /netbsd: com0: console

I guess that second line shows things are ok

> #/boot.cfg
> ..
> menu=Boot Wyse 60:consdev auto;rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd

I am surpriseed at consdev auto, vs "consdev com0".  Try explicitly
asking the bootloader to set com0 as the console.

Did you program the boot blocks themselves to use the serial console?
Can you hit space and drop into the prompt, stopping autoboot?

> #/etc/ttys
> ..
> console	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt100	on rtscts secure
> constty	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt100	off secure

Note that there are two separate issues with modem control.  One is
rts/cts.  Probably that is not your problem if text is being output.
The other is that traditionally, the open from getty on the device did
not succeed until the modem asserted CD (carrier detect).  Your terminal
is acting like it has a null modem cable (since it is actually DTE, but
has a "modem connector" that makes it act like DCE).  (I was surprised at
first when you said straight-through cable, until you said modem port.
I am used to terminals that are DTE without modem ports, like a real
VT100.)

So I would definitely recommend "local" in ttys until you get things
working.

> # % sudo stty -e -f /dev/console
> speed 9600 baud; 25 rows; 80 columns; queue = 1024; line = termios;
> lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
>         -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
>         -nokerninfo -extproc
> iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel -ignbrk
>         -brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
> oflags: -opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
> cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb crtscts -mdmbuf
>         -cdtrcts
> discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill    lnext
> ^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U      ^V
> min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time    werase
> 1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      ^T      ^S      ^Z      0       ^W

Probably you should look at tty00 or dty00 (dty00 ignores CD, I think)
instead of console.  console is a logical device for output and perhaps
BREAK-for-gdb, and I would configure getty on the actual serial port.
Or at least I would try that.

For what it's worth I have a Soekris net5501 (pc, no vga hw, serial
console) and I have the boot blocks set to use com0

  # installboot -v -e /dev/rwd0a
  File system:         /dev/rwd0a
  Boot options:        timeout 5, flags 0, speed 9600, ioaddr 0, console com0

and ttys:

  console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure

This works with kermit from a mac with a PL2303 USB/serial dongle.
(Someday I will have time to hook up my VT52!)