Re: Serial console setup

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> jgw%sdf.org@localhost writes:
> ..
> > #/var/log/messages
> > ..
> > Dec 20 .. /netbsd: com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
> > Dec 20 .. /netbsd: com0: console
>
> I guess that second line shows things are ok
>
> > #/boot.cfg
> > ..
> > menu=Boot Wyse 60:consdev auto;rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot netbsd
>
> I am surpriseed at consdev auto, vs "consdev com0".  Try explicitly
> asking the bootloader to set com0 as the console.

I did try "com0" too; no difference.

> Did you program the boot blocks themselves to use the serial console?
> Can you hit space and drop into the prompt, stopping autoboot?

I did not; I was under the impression that that wasn't a hard requirement
anymore.

> > #/etc/ttys
> > ..
> > console	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt100	on rtscts secure
> > constty	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		vt100	off secure
>
> Note that there are two separate issues with modem control.  One is
> rts/cts.  Probably that is not your problem if text is being output.
> The other is that traditionally, the open from getty on the device did
> not succeed until the modem asserted CD (carrier detect).  Your terminal
> is acting like it has a null modem cable (since it is actually DTE, but
> has a "modem connector" that makes it act like DCE).  (I was surprised at
> first when you said straight-through cable, until you said modem port.
> I am used to terminals that are DTE without modem ports, like a real
> VT100.)

It must have been getting into the wee hours and my memory of what I tried
failed me; I _was_ using a null modem cable connected to the MODEM port
which is as you say a DTE port.  I also tried the AUX port which is DCE.

> So I would definitely recommend "local" in ttys until you get things
> working.

I tried adding local; no difference.

> > # % sudo stty -e -f /dev/console
> > speed 9600 baud; 25 rows; 80 columns; queue = 1024; line = termios;
> > lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
> >         -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
> >         -nokerninfo -extproc
> > iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel -ignbrk
> >         -brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
> > oflags: -opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
> > cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb crtscts -mdmbuf
> >         -cdtrcts
> > discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill    lnext
> > ^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U      ^V
> > min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time    werase
> > 1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      ^T      ^S      ^Z      0       ^W
>
> Probably you should look at tty00 or dty00 (dty00 ignores CD, I think)
> instead of console.  console is a logical device for output and perhaps
> BREAK-for-gdb, and I would configure getty on the actual serial port.
> Or at least I would try that.

A search through the mlist archives pulled up a reference to /dev/constty
being the actual console these days; have not tried to reference that yet.

> For what it's worth I have a Soekris net5501 (pc, no vga hw, serial
> console) and I have the boot blocks set to use com0
>
>   # installboot -v -e /dev/rwd0a
>   File system:         /dev/rwd0a
>   Boot options:        timeout 5, flags 0, speed 9600, ioaddr 0, console com0
>
> and ttys:
>
>   console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
>
> This works with kermit from a mac with a PL2303 USB/serial dongle.
> (Someday I will have time to hook up my VT52!)

I'm thinking the boot block _have_ to be set as you've done.  I'll give
that a try.  Should I be able to use a straight serial cable on the AUX
Wyse (DCE) port?

Jeff