Re: Serial console setup

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016, jgw%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
I'm wanting to connect an actual serial terminal (Wyse 60; VT100 mode) to a small i386 PC running NetBSD 7.99.25 (snapshot w/ GENERIC kernel).

I used to have a Wyse 60, as well. I think mine was the "paper white" model. I used it for years as a terminal to watch my filtered log output from about 200 servers at once. I got it for $5 at a used gear auction.

The cable is a straight serial, DB9 (PC COM port) to DB9-DB25 (Wyse MODEM port).

Hopefully, you specifically remember using that port on your working SPARC rig and you've triple checked your settings on the terminal itself are matching.

I added a 'consdev auto' entry to /boot.cfg (see below) which seems to get the serial port address right and I'm able to get the dmesg stuff to display during bootup but no interaction via the keyboard.

Okay, I could be totally wrong here, but my understanding is that you flat out can *NOT* interact with the kernel while it's booting. Ie.. while you are seeing "green" text (ie.. the dmesg ring buffer stuff before any scripts run).

I'm also not sure you'll be able to do things like ctrl-c out of startup scripts. Linux and other OS's already prevent that from the console (*sigh*), but it's nice that NetBSD doesn't. However, I don't remember being able to do that unless I'm on a "real" keyboard and watching the BIOS (VGA) console. However, I'm not sure exactly why, because I also specifically remember doing some netbsd kernel debugging (ie.. gathering backtraces and what-not) from a serial console that totally worked. However, I believe it was because, on that particular system, it didn't have a framebuffer and the BIOS console *was* the serial port.

I tried various combinations of [Full|Half]Duplex and RCV Handshake [none|XON/XOFF|DTR|both] ; none enabled 2-way communication.

I always had the best luck with my Wyse using hardware flow control (DTR). IIRC, they will go up to 38,400 pretty reliably. You definitely want to keep it in full duplex, too.

Current settings are attached. Is there something more I need to do?

Not to be an ass, but you do know you've got to fire up a getty for the terminal in /etc/inittab once the system is booted, right? The console stuff you've done basically only enables the kernel displaying it's ring buffer output and what-not. To login et al, you'll need a getty.

-Swift