Re: NetBSD 7.0 i386 mkdep fails

    Date:        Sun, 5 Jun 2016 12:55:31 +0530
    From:        Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>

  | I installed it from
  | ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.0/source/sets/syssrc.tgz

  | Is the set I picked alright?

Yes, but you also need commonsrc.tgz (sources that are needed in both the
kernel and userland builds).   Without that you won't succeed, but that is
not the cause of your current problem.

In a later message mayuresh%acm.org@localhost said:
  | It probably might solve the problem. But is it good for kernel build to
  | depend on base/other sources in any way?

It doesn't (apart from commonsrc), but build.sh can build much more than the
kernel (ie: everything, including cross-compiling).  It is possible that some
of its checks for what is present are more than what is really needed for a
simple local kernel build, but as you mentioned in an earlier message, you
can (and I frequently) do build the "old way".   It should, and does, work.

Here, I suspect even using build.sh won't work for you, as it (as I said
in the other message just a few mins ago) is very likely that your problem
is something in your environment, and build.sh would pick that up too.

When I run build.sh to build a system (including just a kernel) I run it as

env -i \
                "PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin" \
                "USER=$USER" \
                "HOME=$EMPTY" \
                "LOGNAME=$LOGNAME" \
                "DISPLAY=$DISPLAY" \
                "MAKECONF=/dev/null" \
        /bin/sh build.sh "$@" \

(and then the build.sh args to tell it where the obj directory is,
the tools directory  ...  all the normal stuff, including what it is
I want it to build).

$EMPTY is a new (empty) directory created in /tmp just for the purpose,
HOME and DISPLAY are set only because something (probably broken) demanded
them as part of the build process, sometime in the distant past, and I have
retained them ever since - they may be redundant now.)

kre