Re: wireless WPA disconnection issues

Hi,

On 03/16/16 00:11, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
I have iwm(4) in my laptop
When it is used with Android smartphone's tethering Wi-Fi access point,
Wi-Fi WPA2-PSK (AES) connection is disconnected with
iwm0: fatal firmware error
error message from kernel.
And only reboot helps me.
Standard Wi-Fi access point does not cause this error.
I have run(4) device and it is alway sane.

Do you have additional message from your device?

And TKIP connection is not stable (or not supported) for my devices.
I decided to use AES always.

what kind of messages? perhaps there are messages from wpa_supplicant? Where sre they logged? I tried running it in console and saw "rekeying" messages and I fear that the disconnections are related
I see no further messages, no firmware errors like you.

on NetBSD, a killing wpa_supplicant is enough (and rerunning dhclient).

On a very similar Linux laptop (R52 vs R51, but same IBM branded intel 2200) things seem to be more stable, but I still get very occasional disconnects, which can be solved by rerunning wpa_supplicant

On a similar laptop, with FreeBSD, wpa_supplicant can be killed, but then rerunning it works.

This is the company WiFi network, I cannot change its settings!: Of course there are dozens of Windows laptops as well as Macs, iPads and such running fine all day!

I wonder if the issue is the the driver or wpa_supplicant or the interaction of both. Surely very annoying.
I have seen an update of wpa_supplicant on Linux and will test it further.

Riccardo