Re: slow disk in NetBSD-7.0 under qemu

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016, coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:
Hi, I'm running NetBSD-7.0 in qemu with host being Debian Linux. Disk operations are very slow (1MB/s unpacking local files, a bit better for the disk ones).

It's totally un-accelerated. No kqemu or other kernel modules are available for NetBSD, AFAIK. It's just plain slow. There isn't much you can do about it since all the I/O is being done via CPU dynamic translation.

You could try to use a different IO subsystem driver, but I doubt it would help. While qemu is a nice stable tool, it's slower than frozen molasses on NetBSD. It's barely usable for most OS's even on a 4.0Ghz i7.

I am invoking it with: qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512 -hda netbsd.img -cdrom NetBSD-7.0-amd64.iso -curses

You already are doing -curses, which often helps a bit. The only other thing I can think of is that you might try with more memory. Perhaps a bigger cache for the buffer-cache will help. You could also try to run the image file in a RAM disk, though again, I doubt it'll help too much since the problem is just that qemu is 100% software emulation.

Since it doesn't look like folks have ever taken on getting something like FreeBSD's kernel module ported over (and I'm sure it'd be a lot of work), I'm just hoping hard that FreeBSD's Behyve or OpenBSD's new "Native Hypervisor" will be ready at some point and turn out to be portable. NetBSD's Xen support is pretty good, but it's still Xen, which I find to be unstable (even on Linux), invasive due to too much kernel futzing without modularity, and too painful to use on the desktop (no direct graphics options). The Python scripts they ship for management and service daemons like to blow up with a lot with tracebacks for me, but YMMV. I'm not trying to slam Xen. I'm sure some people have a decent time with it, just not me.

I'd prefer to use qemu over Xen, but I'm not skilled enough to port the kernel module so I acknowledge I have no right to that desire.

-Swift