Re: Please recommend office package on NetBSD

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 02:04:55PM -0600, Swift Griggs wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Mayuresh wrote:
> >>Minimal == antiword (converts word docs to text)
> >Tried. Cute one, but seems to say "is not a Word Document." for just too
> >many files.
>
> It only works on doc (Word 97 or before, I think) files not the newer DOCX
> files (which are really zip files full of MS garbage).
>
> >>Small == abiword (standalone word processors that supports MS DOC[X] files)
> >Trying. Would abiword-plugins improve compatibility with MS/Open/Libre?
>
> They do improve it's import/export functionality quite a bit. I can tell you
> right now that Abiword doesn't do as good a job rendering as libre/open
> office does. However, it's great if you just need to read a word document
> someone sent you at work. Abiword also works pretty well if you can keep the
> document in Abiword the whole time and just export Word 97 format at the
> end.

<rant>
Why would you open up a big clunky *editor* to read a document?  Get
back to them and tell them to send you a PDF version of the thing
instead.  The option to export to PDF is right there, in the menu.
</rant>

Works for me...

... sometimes.

--
:: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri, Bioinformatics Developer, BILS,
:: Uppsala University, Sweden