Re: Please recommend office package on NetBSD

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Mayuresh wrote:
So need a minimal reader for open/MS office files.

Minimal == antiword (converts word docs to text)

Small == abiword (standalone word processors that supports MS DOC[X] files)

Am trying to build misc/libreoffice and somewhere gave up due to dependencies. (I mean why do I need postgresql for above simple purpose)?

Good question. My answer would be "because it's a pig". A less inflammatory answer would be that it's because it's needed for it's database MS Access clone thing that's included with Libreoffice.

May be there are other users who face above situation and the frustration. So curious how they work around this.

I hate Word. People can't seem to communicate or accept something in most corporate environments unless someone writes it in a Word doc. It's ridiculous. There is no reason why text can't be used in 99% of the same situations.

Besides trying to compile, I also tried pkgin, though looks like binary repo doesn't have it.

The newer repos tend to lag behind on builds. I'm not sure why. Some repos do have it, though.

Tried libreoffice4-bin, though looks like it's too big a package.

It works, as long as you have space for the linux emulation stuff that it depends on.

Are there ways, such as increasing more options to cut down functionality in libreoffice?

Not as far as I know.

Alternatively is there any other package that will be light and quick to install and serve above limited purpose?

Try abword (doc), gnumeric (xls), magicpoint (ppt but not compatible), and maybe the koffice stuff will work, too, if that's still around.

-Swift