Re: Running /etc/rc.d/nfsd onestart complains about $mountd not enabled

    Date:        Sat, 18 Jul 2015 21:28:01 -0400
    From:        Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>

  | Well, if you just want nfsd, it seems to work, and the mountd comment is
  | a warning.  So what's actually wrong?

  | I'm not sure what you are suggesting should be different.

It wasn't me, and this behaviour rarely bothers me, so it isn't important,
but I think the issue for "onestart" is that the rc.d dependancy checking
checks whether the dependency is turned on in rc.conf, where for onestart
that's generally exactly what you don't want - you don't want things just
magically starting because the system happens to have rebooted.

For onestart what should really be being checked is whether or not the
dependency is actually running, not whether or not it is marked to start at
boot.  At boot time doing those checks would needlessly slow the boot
process - if it was marked to start at boot, it was started, and if not,
it was not - but that relationship isn't true for onestart.

What's more, the cost of actually checking the presence of the required
processes is negligible for the onestart case, where only one process is
being started, so we could easily afford to do it (even if it meant calling
the dependant rc.d script with the "status" arg and parsing the result).

Whether dependencies that aren't running should be automatically started
if required (using onestart) or just warned as missing is a whole other
question of course - I suspect opinions on that one will differ.

kre