Re: Where to install user stuff

On 7/16/15 9:28 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

.... On various SGI, Linux & FreeBSD boxen, I have always installed in-house software under /usr/local. I notice no such directory on my NetBSD 6.1.5 box. I did notice that pkg_add installed sudo under /usr/pkg. Is that the recommended/standard/canonical place to install user software under NetBSD ? I'd like to keep everything as tidy & buttoned-down as possible :-). TIA & have a good one.

/usr/local is a fine place to install stuff. It doesn't exist because, well, you don't have any local stuff yet. :) /usr/pkg is where _packages_ get installed, which are not really "local" software, because they're standardized by pkgsrc.

Basically, install stuff anywhere you want that *isn't* allocated for another purpose in hier(7).