Re: Where to install user stuff

"William A. Mahaffey III" <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> writes:

> .... On various SGI, Linux & FreeBSD boxen, I have always installed
> in-house software under /usr/local.  I notice no such directory on my
> NetBSD 6.1.5 box. I did notice that pkg_add installed sudo under
> /usr/pkg. Is that the recommended/standard/canonical place to install
> user software under NetBSD ? I'd like to keep everything as tidy &
> buttoned-down as possible :-). TIA & have a good one.

/usr/local is reserved for bits managed locally per system.  Hence
pkgsrc does not use it.  My view is that because pkgsrc manages
/usr/pkg, you should not hand install anything in /usr/pkg.  So if you
build something not with pkgsrc, /usr/local is a fine place for it.

But really if you need something, and it's not in pkgsrc, the best thing
is to add it to pkgsrc.