Re: Minor setup issues

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:18:48 +0000
"William A. Mahaffey III" wrote:

> .... I have my shiny new NetBSD 6.1.5 server up & running, all RAID
> devices working AOK, several reboots completed, swap configured, etc.
> All is well except for a few pilot errors. Following recommendations
> I now login to root by su, rather than directly at the console. When
> I do, none of my aliases get set & filename completion using the tab
> key doesn't work. This isn't huge, but is irritating.

You're probably using sh. If so you will need the following options in
.shrc:

set -o emacs
set -o tabcomplete

NetBSD also has ksh which is, as far as I know, pdksh under the hood. A
better korn shell clone is mksh, available in pkgsrc.

> All is well logging in at the console, although the screen is limited
> to 80 chars/line & 25 lines, which restricts what you can see in
> crowded directories. I am ssh-ing in as my regular user, BTW, that
> probably makes a difference. When fully operational, there will be no
> kbd/mouse/monitor hooked up, so I do need to get this either fixed or
> understood.

I found the best way to deal with the console is to specify a vesa mode
in /boot.cfg. When booting, choose 5 to drop to a prompt and type "vesa
list". This will give you a list of vesa modes supported by your
hardware. For example, 0x14b. You then type "vesa 0x14b" and then "boot".

You can then add your chosen mode to /boot.cfg as follows:

menu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;vesa 0x14b;boot netbsd

--
Gerard Lally