Re: USB-keyboard with a non-standard layout in wscons

Dear list & Tlarpmde!

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 6:16 PM,  <tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 02:15:45PM +0200, Hans dinsen-hansen wrote:
>> Dear List.
>>
>> I still have problems with my USB keyboard and wscons.
>>

> Since I have had problems with USB keyboards with NetBSD 6.1.5, and
> had a chaotic "mapping" (the letter 'o' not typable; the lette 'e'
> omnipresent etc.) the problem is perhaps with USB and with the lack of
> initial configuration.
>
> From usb(4), you could try to compile a kernel with setting the flags
> '1' to force detection of the USB keyboard on boot :
>
> usb* at ehci? flags 1
> usb* at ohci? flags 1
> usb* at uhci? flags 1
>
> (ehci is for USB 2.0; ohci and uhci are for USB 1.0).
>
> This is just a suggestion. Nothing more. But since I had problems with
> an USB keyboard without mapping, the problem is probably on the USB
> side.  ...
I have looked into  my dmesg, and found the following:
  ... <snip> ...
pckbc1 at acpi0 (PSKE, PNP0303) (kbd port): io 0x60,0x64 irq 1
  ... <snip> ...
pckbd0 at pckbc1 (kbd slot)
pckbc1: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard
  ... <snip> ...
wsmouse0 at ums0 mux 0
wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
  ... <snip> ...
Could it be that my wsconsctl command touched the non-exixting
wskbd0 and thus made the whole thing die?  I have not noticed
the first couple of messages, as there is nowhere to plug an old
fashioned keyboard in.

This computer used to have a Logitec-USB keyboard which only
had the problem that the erase button gave ^H in stead of ^?.  That
also was the case in xterm, so I managed it globally in my .login
file.

By the way:  When I in a previous letter said that wscons died, I have
no idea what happened.  There was no coredump.

kind regards
            Hans