Re: NetBSD for the dekstop

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 08:33:56AM +0100, Stephan wrote:
> I´m not sure if everybody has gotten my point I described in mail #9
> to this discussion.
>
> What I certainly will not do is anything with one of the X based
> desktop environments. These are the problem and not the solution.
>
> I performed some experimentation and I decided to focus on Haiku
> becuase its in a pretty good shape and under active development. They
> have a fantastic UI which is a pretty exact copy of Be Inc´s BeOS. It
> has also nothing to do with X.

So it doesn't run applications designed for X?  If so, it may be an
interesting experiment and great design, but how would it help us to
get our work done? :)  I do software development with xterm/jed/gcc etc.
but there are things that require GUI software and if it's not available,
we need something else.

> I´m not the first one with this idea and there was a project called
> cosmoe which had the goal of porting the Haiku userland to a Posix
> kernel (well, actually, Linux). BeOS/Haiku has some own IPC primitives
> (ports and messages for instance) which are unknown to Posix. Cosmoe
> is trying to emulate these through shared memory and SysV semaphores.

Reminds me of the AmigaOS.. which was great at the time.

  -jm