Re: NetBSD for the dekstop

Hi folks

I´m not sure if everybody has gotten my point I described in mail #9
to this discussion.

What I certainly will not do is anything with one of the X based
desktop environments. These are the problem and not the solution.

I performed some experimentation and I decided to focus on Haiku
becuase its in a pretty good shape and under active development. They
have a fantastic UI which is a pretty exact copy of Be Inc´s BeOS. It
has also nothing to do with X.

I´m not the first one with this idea and there was a project called
cosmoe which had the goal of porting the Haiku userland to a Posix
kernel (well, actually, Linux). BeOS/Haiku has some own IPC primitives
(ports and messages for instance) which are unknown to Posix. Cosmoe
is trying to emulate these through shared memory and SysV semaphores.
I think this is a good base for a prototype.

I had to make a couple of changes to the code but it does compile now
and I can start the appserver, which renders to wscons through SDL
(I´m seeing a white rectangle and a mouse pointer). The Haiku to Posix
wrapper is, however, broken on NetBSD so I can´t do anything further
yet.