Re: pkgin fails to install in the install kernel

On 16 November 2014 13:50, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 5:49 AM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> It was using more than 640M of VM?
>>
>> While I agree not having a failure reported as success would be the
>> top priority, the thought that it was using that much VM during
>> install is... scary.
>>
>> What arch is this on? i386 has a set_swap() in sysinst to use
>> swapspace if less than 32M of ram, but amd64 does not... I suspect
>> that check should be made MI...
>
> It was amd64, specifically from here:
> ftp://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-7/201411140020Z/amd64/installation/cdrom/boot.iso

OK, so that would have been more than 128M (actually from reading the
source, that would have been 128M for i386 also - see email to
tech-install@ re making set_swap() MI)

> I just tried i386 from the same build date and unfortunately there is no
> pkgin for it yet so I didn't prove what you said.
>
> I can test another version if that would be helpful.

If you had some space time it would be great if you could take a poke
at sysinst and add the return value checks missing in the run_program
calls that use pkgin. Otherwise I can see if I have time sometime
soon...