Re: Network redundancy (Linux bonding/Solaris IPMP)

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat
IT&Internet) <nd%syndicat.com@localhost> wrote:
> On 12. Oktober 2014 10:08:43 MESZ, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
>>No, on NetBSD you can't configure an IP address on a bridge interface.
>
> hmm, ok, but this confuses me a bit.
>
> If you define the IP on one of the n ifaces of a bridge how the IP could be reached/managed/used if that iface leaves the bridge or "just" got down/deleted?
>
> Or does NetBSD did not know the concept of a IP of a bridge (as i.e. on linux) or is there any other official comparable concept?
>
> Many thanks for any hint.

I think he's saying that NetBSD is behaving as a layer 2 switch with 2
links. Spanning tree "solves" which interface is active elsewhere (or
can NetBSD run it? I don't know). Since you have a switch, frames are
sent to whatever interface owns the IP via the arp table. So it only
takes 1 of the 2 links to be up, doesn't matter which.

So it's not load balancing, but I think that was the point of the
original post. And I'm confused about "link1" in agr as well now that
I read it again.

Andy