Re: Network redundancy (Linux bonding/Solaris IPMP)

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 03:55:23PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost (Manuel Bouyer) writes:
>
> >On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 10:12:24AM +0200, Jose Luis Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>
> >> How does link1 mode work?. Is it active/passive? Does it work using
> >> the link status of the ehternet connections? If this is the way it
> >> works, it is ok for my setup.
>
> >Ho does other OSes decide which link to use in such a setup ?
> >At first glance I'd say that if you want to have the same behavior as
> >linux bond, you'd need both link0 and link1.
>
> The most simple mode is an active/passive failover. The active link is
> used for sending and only when it fails(*) the other link is used.
>
> (*) Failure is detected either by looking at the carrier status or by
> sending arp probes to a configured peer.
>
> agr(4) doesn't seem to support this.

It does with LACP, I don't know if the link status is considered when
in round-robin mode.

Anyway if I had to setup something like that I'd use bridge with
spanning-tree to select the best path. This way you get failover for
more cases than just the local link failure.