Re: the future of ALTQ

On 18 Feb 2014 at 10:28, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Is anyone else using ALTQ?  I am wondering if there are alternatives, or
> if fixing altq to be more locking/mp-aware is a good plan (as part of
> the general effort in the network stack).
>
> It seems our copy of pf is getting a bit old, and if that's not going to
> be maintained, perhaps altq config should use npf instead.

I've used ipfilter since about 1997 when on dialup.
Firewalls were 486dlc-25 and 486dlc33 each 8 MB ram.
I didn't see a use for traffic shaping until I had moved
onto adsl and uploads were slow at about 150 kbps vs
maximum uplink rate of about 250 kbps. In 2007 I started
using ALTQ to limit outgoing rates and that sorted the
problem with upload speed which increased to 240 kbps.

I'm still using it and last change to altq.conf was
Sep 2012 after local adsl service was upgraded and I
set limit at 960 kbps.

David