Re: the future of ALTQ

On Feb 18, 2014, at 9:28, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Is anyone else using ALTQ?  I am wondering if there are alternatives, or
> if fixing altq to be more locking/mp-aware is a good plan (as part of
> the general effort in the network stack).

I use it, although I've never been sure that it's worked properly. I'm
trying to prioritize TCP ACKs and VOIP traffic, but pfctl -vs queue
doesn't show packets going to the queues I expect. However, empirical
tests seem to show that it's helping (e.g., on my ADSL connection,
saturating the upstream bandwidth doesn't significantly affect
downstream bandwidth).
INet: khym%azeotrope.org@localhost |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 38 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++